Monday, August 3, 2009

Middle-aged Lapsed Lefty Blues

Well, I was a child of the 60s
raised with left-wing middle-class views
Yes, I grew up in Canberra,
home of those left-wing intellectual views
But now I'm pushing 50
I've got the middle-aged lapsed lefty blues

I cheered for Gough Whitlam
and cried shame when he was dismissed,
and I marched against Vietnam
though I was much too young to enlist,
and later spent 6 years in the army
in one of life's ironic twists

So I joined Bob Brown's Green Party,
studied Permaculture too,
but I'm sick of Global Warming
and the bloody whales can get stuffed too
Cause I honestly can't be bothered
I've got the middle-aged lapsed lefty blues.

(instrumental)

I've tried to live quite simply
so others can simply be
I don't want more than my fair share
I've always strived for equity
but who could really blame me
if I love my new LCD, high definition, 40", digital, flat screen TV

I know I should care for the homeless
and worry about those who are poor
and nuclear waste and landrights
but haven't we heard all this before
So I think I'll just try to be happy
and forget those middle-aged lapsed lefty blues

No comments:

Post a Comment